What books can I donate?
- Children’s books for kids aged birth to 12 years old
- Children’s books in new or gently used condition, meaning no missing covers, torn pages, or pages with colouring/writing on them
- Children’s books printed within the last ten years, so a print date of 2006 – present
* A great rule of thumb – if you would gift the book to a child, then it would be a great book for us.
What books are unacceptable?
- Adult books or novels
- Young adult (teen) books or novels
- School, library or text books and encyclopedias
- Books printed more than ten years ago
- Self-published books
- Damaged books
What does the Children’s Book Bank need?
At the book bank, we are always in need of board books and concept books (ABC, 123, colours, shapes, etc.)
And since the majority of our books are second hand, we don’t always get the latest titles, chapter books or graphic novels. Below are favourites and ‘top sellers’ that go flying off our shelves:
- Peppa Pig
- Lego (Ninjago is very popular)
- Geronimo & Thea Stilton
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Dork Diaries
- Captain Underpants
- Harry Potter
- Percy Jackson series
- Star Wars Origami books
- Big Nate
- DC & Marvel Superheroes
- Sisters & Smile by Rania Telgemeier
- Graphic Novels
* And we are always in need of books with diverse characters – reflecting the divers families of Canada, including our First Nations Peoples.
How / Where do I drop off books?
Books may be dropped off at our storefront located at 350 Berkeley Street, Toronto, ON, M5A 2X5 anytime during our hours of operation. If possible, contact us to let us know when you plan to drop off the books. Please do not leave book donations on our doorstep as they may get damaged or stolen. Unfortunately because we are a small organization we cannot offer pick up services; however we are happy to help you unload your car or bring the boxes into our storefront when you
The Children’s Book Bank endeavors to use all donated books. Donated books that are unsuitable for Book Bank customers are donated to other appropriate organizations, or recycled. You can really help us, by following our donation guidelines.